I enjoyed the second episode of “Broke Girls” titled “And the Break-Up Scene.” Caroline steals Max’s final break-up scene with her cheating ex-boyfriend, which infuriates Max. The two girls decide to split ways once again.
But after Caroline drunkenly apologizes and confides in Max the two rekindle the friendship. Max convinces the “drunken” Caroline to sign a contract stating she will stay out of Max’s relationships. Max starts to take their dream cupcake business more seriously when Caroline admits that it was all she had to look forward to in the future.
The characters develop more in the second episode. Max and Caroline start to form a bond, which creates a more natural atmosphere. But the other characters in the show still haven’t made an impact. The cook, owner and cashier at the diner have no real part in the story. I hope in future episodes they become a bigger part of the story.The humor remains raunchy in the second episode. Caroline sneaks into Max’s bedroom at night because she hears noises outside. After a brief argument, Max agrees to let Caroline sleep in her bed. Later that night, Max’s ex uses a key for the apartment to get in, and finds the girls in bed. A few cracks were made about Max turning into a lesbian. She promptly takes the key from her ex and kicks him out of the apartment.
Max complains to Caroline about the smell of the horse crap in the back yard. Caroline says it is just the smell of Brooklyn. Dressed in her white chenille outfit, Caroline walks outside to see the horse and slips in the crap ruining her only clothes. Unfortunately for her, street crews shut off the water to the apartment. Max takes Caroline to her rich bosses house to shower where Caroline falls asleep in the bosses bed. The boss finds Caroline’s hair in the bed and thinks her husband is cheating, which of course he is but not with Caroline. Caroline infiltrates Max’s life; something Max hates. But the two work out their differences. The episode creates a strong foundation for the girls as friends. The series begins with a great start.
I think the ratings will even out in the few weeks with a strong following around 11 million viewers. Not too shabby compared to other series that premiered this fall. I expect to see it again next season.Loss of 7.55 million; 2.6 shares
honestly, i think this show will replace 2 1/2 men...this show has the same brash humor and 2 1/2 men already jumped the shark
ReplyDeleteFor a show like this, I think it's natural for the ratings to drop in the first few weeks, but once the show attracts its "every episode audience", its ratings will maintain a decent number. A show of this nature should do fine.
ReplyDeleteAs you said, I think the premiere ratings were a bit inflated because of the attention surrounding Two and A Half Men this season, but that did likely bring in some now-committed viewers who wouldn't have otherwise watched. The week 2 and 3 ratings will be telling of how this show will perform going forward this year, but I'm already convinced it is the surprise win of the season. The show uses some humor that seems to resemble that of Men, and that may help bring in those (like myself) who are somewhat disappointed with the direction of Men in this new post-Sheen era.
ReplyDeleteI do believe that the two and a half men season premiere had a lot to do with the first episodes high rating. I am guilty myself of not setting the DVR, so I can count myself amongst those who did not tune back in. I am mad that I missed it. To elaborate on what Josh said, shows like this do not appeal to everyone so the numbers will trickle down, but should remain pretty steady once it establishes a fan base.
ReplyDeleteI have not watched this show yet, but the rating drop off was expected by just about everyone I think. They definitely scored the early rating because of 2.5 men, but although the numbers dropped, it is still a pretty good number. I am curious to see if these numbers start to stay at about the same spot week in and week out, or if they continue to fall after their week one eclipse.
ReplyDeleteThis show definitely has the potential to keep pace with Two and A Half Men and keep momentum for at least the rest of the season. The dynamic of the characters is interesting in that Max really shows herself the creative mind but the writers dont completely dumb down Caroline, as has been seen in elder sitcoms.
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the show so far. I really like Kat Dennings.
ReplyDelete