Friday, September 16, 2011

2 Broke Girls Preview

The new fall sitcom, 2 Broke Girls, premieres Monday, September 19, at 8:30 p.m. CBS scheduled the program in between two successful shows, How I Met Your Mother and 2 and a Half Men. I believe CBS made a great choice for the new sitcom because people will definitely tune in for the revamped 2 and a Half Men featuring Ashton Kutcher. The time slot for “Girls” is a highly desired spot for any sitcom.

2 Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings (Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist) and Beth Behrs (American Pie Presents: The Book of Love), who meet at a sleazy diner where Dennings’ character, Max, waitresses. Dennings plays the sassy, streetwise New Yorker and Behrs plays the uptown trust fund brat. Behrs character, Caroline, comes in the diner to apply for a job. Max tells the boss not to hire Caroline, but he does anyway. The girls become friends regardless of their differences. Then Max offers to let Caroline move in with her. The two end up combining their skills to start a cupcake business.

 The show follows the familiar format of an odd-couple living together despite their evident differences. The characters are well-cast, but, historically speaking, female-led sitcoms don’t fare well. Producers Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City) and Whitney Cummings (Comedy Central’s Roast regular) use raunchy humor and strong female leads to create a modern day Laverne and Shirley.

One scene shows a customer snapping his fingers at Max to get service, and she not-so-kindly explained that “this is the sound that dries up my vagina”, while snapping her fingers in his face. I have watched the fall preview and I must say every time I see that clip I crack up. Kat Dennings fits the character extremely well.

“Girls” demonstrates the current financial climate for most 20-somethings in America today. People of this generation can relate with being broke and working at a job they hate to make ends meet. I know I do.

Sex in the City is one of my favorite shows and I love sitcoms. I expect “Girls to be just as funny as Cummings with the entertainment I enjoyed from Sex and the City. Critics expect 2 Broke Girls to be one of the best new shows this fall. I hope they are right. I miss the days when sitcoms were king.

Characters:

Max Black - Kat Dennings
Caroline Channing - Beth Behrs
Earl - Garrett Morris
Han Lee - Matthew Moy
Oleg - Jonathan Kite

6 comments:

  1. I think this show should be a hit. I'm going to add it to my DVR. It seems to fit the zeitgeist, and more importantly, seems well-written and cast. I can't tell from the commercials -- is it a single camera or multi-camera sit com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is a multi-camera sitcom. It's the same camera style as Whitney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. writing-wise, its smart, quick, and enjoyable...i just hope they didn't burn up all their material in the pilot...i guess we'll have to keep watchin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the pilot last night, and was surprisingly impressed. It is a bit formulaic, but the one character trait that really surprised me were the short glimpses of Caroline's knowledge when a business opportunity presented itself. It creates a very positive feel, in a "if only everyone thought this way" style.

    Christine: That makes sense. I believe Whitney Cummings was listed as one of the creators of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping they quit showing all the good parts in the previews. I was a little disappointed in the pilot because I pretty much saw it already. But I will keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks terrible, maybe I'll be wrong, and for the networks sake they probably hope I'm wrong too. I don't care how its shot or even if they didn't color the film, I just didn't find any of the previews funny.

    ReplyDelete